Whickham Golf Club, Durham
Address: Hollinside Park Fellside Road Whickham Newcastle upon Tyne Tyne and Wear , NE16 5BA
Tel No: 0191 488 1576
Whickham Golf Club was founded in 1911 and moved to its present site at Hollinside Park in 1938. The present site which was originally leased from the Earl of Strathmore was part of the Bowes-Lyon family estate. The lodges at the club entrance marked one of the main entrances to Gibside Estate. These buildings which are used as a golf shop and workshop are listed as buildings of special architectural and historic interest. The existing clubhouse was completed in 1980 and provides superb facilities. This excellent parkland course leaves a lasting impression on visitors set in the beautiful Derwent Valley it has outstanding views of scenic countryside extending to the Cheviots in the north. The romantic ruins of Gibside Hall and its orangery and Hollinside Hall serve to enhance to local landscape.